7/21/20

Reflections

Sometimes, I find inspiration in the artwork on a blank card.  I have a small collection of blank greeting cards and postcards that inspired me over the years. "On the Sea" by Maja Lindberg was a dreamy mix of whimsy and enchantment.  A small child tentatively reaches over the side of the boat to touch his reflection on the glass smooth surface of the sea.  It reminds me that just because something isn't there, it doesn't mean we can't see it.

There are memories of my pets that have filled my life with great joy.  While there was a profound sense of loss when they were no longer with me, I still am reminded of them all the time.  I can't count the conversations that begin with "Remember when..." and then we laugh about the memory and once again, the cherished pet is still with us.  My dog Drummer, who would lay on his back, kicking his feet in the air and emitting grunts and groans to beg for popcorn from my mom.  Our cat, Poppy who would lie at the edge of the lake allowing small waves of water to gently lap at her belly.  My sister's cat, Scully who would play fetch with her toys and later would terrorize me with her warning growls.  Our English cocker spaniel, Molly who could ring a bell to be let into the house or George who rocked a Mohawk like no other dog since.  My grandmother, leaving bits of Poppycock in corners of her room when she knew we were coming for a visit with the dogs.

Our dining room is lined with portraits of our pets, painted by my mother.  The dining room is a gathering place for family, friends and snoozing dogs waiting for a bit of accidentally dropped morsels.  It's also a place for conversations, memories and playful reflections.

No comments: