7/20/20

Master Bedroom


Years ago, while visiting Intercourse, Pennsylvania, I took refuge from a downpour of rain in an art gallery tucked away at Kitchen Kettle Village.  Rushing inside, I stopped in the entryway to fold my inadequate umbrella and was captivated by a painting hanging on the wall.  The framed print was “Master Bedroom” by Andrew Wyeth and it reminded me so much of my English setter, Chase. 

This 1965 watercolor depicts the Wyeth family dog, Rattler, peacefully napping on Andrew Wyeth’s bed.  The curator of the shop said that the artist had come home tired one evening, wanting to take a nap, only to find his dog was already there.  I knew I needed this picture and bought the only size that would fit in the back of my very small convertible trunk.  It was hung in our dining room although I still wished I could have purchased a larger sized print.  

Fast forward a few years and a large antique shop outside of Atlanta granted my wish.  The Englishman and I had a couple hours to spare.  Wandering through the various booths of the antique shop, I noticed “Master Bedroom” hanging on a peg board.  It was a larger size in a modest, matted frame.  I pointed to it and the Englishman checked the price: $25.  Someone clearly didn’t understand the treasure they had and I bought it.  

This print hangs proudly in my office on a wall that faces me each day.  Its serenity is a grounding and familiar presence as well as a conversation piece about a favorite artist. It's also a reminder of all the little things that might be overlooked by some:  an old spool bed that reminds me of the used furniture in our summer cottage, a chenille coverlet from my grandmother's house, late afternoon sunlight casually tossed at the foot of the bed and a peacefully sleeping dog, comfortably dreaming with his head on the pillow.




No comments: