11/11/20

Dementia Dog Dachshund

Because this is our second dog to develop dementia, we saw the signs much earlier with Charlie and quickly accommodated for this development.  All three slept in the room with us now:  Abby on guard, Chase soundly sleeping the night away and Charlie contained in a crate for his safety and our sanity.

On a particular night, the Englishman decided that he wouldn't close the crate because Charlie didn't appear to be wandering anymore.  I wasn't sure how he came to this conclusion since the mere fact that locking the crate kept Charlie from wandering, but I digress...

At 3 AM, Charlie exited the crate and bumped blindly into Abby's bed.  Charlie growled and snapped.  Abby shrieked her ungodly high pitched ear splitting, crystal breaking scream which woke up the entire neighborhood with the exception of the Englishman.  I fumbled out of bed and felt my way to Abby.  Charlie then walked into a wall and growled and attacked this new offense.  I located Charlie by his growls and barks.  I reached out to touch his back and he lunged at me with his needle nose filled with shiny crocodile teeth.  I tried again before yelling at my husband to turn on a light before I lost a finger.  I did this in a most dignified manner.

Lights on, Chase snored, Abby whined and I was able to safely put Charlie back in his crate. I swear I could hear muffled laughter from my husband.

And this is why we don't release the dachshund until daylight.



No comments: